What to Bring to an ARRL Exam Session:
- One legal photo ID (identification):
- a. State Driver’s License
- b. Government issued Passport
- c. Military or Law Enforcement Officer Photo ID card
- d. Student School Photo ID card
- e. State Photo ID card
- If no photo ID is available, two forms of identification:
- a. Non-photo State ID card (some states still have them)
- b. Birth certificate (must have the appropriate seal)
- c. Social security card
- d. Employer’s wage statement or Minor’s work permit
- e. School ID card
- f. School or Public Library card
- g. Utility bill, bank statement or other business correspondence that
specifically names the person; or a postmarked envelope addressed
to the person at his or her current mailing address as it appears on
the Form 605.
- Students/minors without a photo ID need to bring only one of the
above items if a legal guardian presents their photo ID; otherwise
two non-photo IDs are required.
Minor children (under the age of 18) may be accompanied in the
room by an adult during the test.
- Social Security Number (SSN) or your FCC issued Federal
Registration Number (FRN); VEC’s are required by the FCC to submit
either your SSN or your FRN number with your license application
form. If you prefer not to give your SSN at the exam session, then
you may register your SSN with the FCC before exam day. Once you
have a FCC issued FRN, you may no longer use your SSN on the
application. For instructions on how to register your SSN with the
FCC and receive a FRN, visit the FCC’s Registration page and the
FCC’s Registration instructions page. Please note that some
exam teams will only accept a valid FRN on your application.
Check with your local exam team before exam day.
- If applicable, bring either a photocopy of your current Amateur Radio
license or a reference copy printed out from the FCC website, the
license information printed from ARRL website or QRZ website,
or the original(s) and photocopy(s) of any Certificates of Successful
Completion of Examination (CSCE) you may hold from previous
exam sessions. If your license has already been issued by FCC,
the CSCE showing license credit is not needed. The photocopy(s)
will not be returned.
Instructions on how to obtain an official FCC license copy are on
our Obtain License Copy web page.
- Two number two pencils with erasers and a pen.
- A calculator with the memory erased and formulas cleared is allowed.
You may not bring any written notes or calculations into the exam session.
Slide rules and logarithmic tables are acceptable, as long as they’re free
of notes and formulas. Cell phone must be silenced or turned off during
the exam session and the phones’ calculator function may not be used.
In addition, iPhones, iPads, Androids, smartphones, Blackberry devices
and all similar electronic devices with a calculator capability, may NOT
- Bring a check, a money order or cash to cover the exam session fee(s).
Check the ARRL VEC’s current exam fees.
- Be aware that some information about you will be made publicly available
on the FCC’s website: FCC Licensee Privacy
Need More information please fill out the form below.